Re: Where is the kernel?

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 02:07, Robert Isaac <rjisaac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 03:06:18PM -0600, Mark Allums wrote:
>>> Exactly.  That's why 2.6.27 should be more mainstream.  To reiterate the
>>>  thoughts of millions of right-thinking people, 2.6.27 should be the
>>> "official" Lenny kernel.  Or at least be packaged alongside 2.6.26 in
>>> the final distribution as an alternative.
>>
>> Well I certainly wouldn't object to 2.6.27 being the Lenny kernel, but I
>> have no say in that matter.
>
> That would break all three nvidia drivers currently within non-free,

I'm sorry, but that's not the case: Debian is *only* main, non-free is
a commodity place we provide for our users, it's not that something
broked in non-free would stop the release to happen.

> so it is not necessarily a good idea for the people that rely on those
> for a desktop.

That's surely a problem, not a blocking one.

What made the release team to decide to stay with .26 is that kernel
and security teams assured their support along all the lenny life,
that all other "thing" heavily coupled with the kernel (for example
xen, selinux, nfs, etc) have been tested and (almost) proved working
with that kernel version. Changing kernel now would be a big mistake.

Hope this clarify the situation.

Regards,