Re: Compiling kernel (i386) using make-kpkg

Kushal Koolwal <kushalkoolwal@hotmail.com> writes:

> Alex,
>
>> just wondering if it might not be simpler to create a 32 bit chroot or a
>> 32b virtual machine to do this ?
>
> Yes you are right and I am aware of this solution as mentioned in my earlier post in this thread. However I would like to know if it can also be done without a chroot/vm solution.
>
> Kushal Koolwal
>
> I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/

After talking to the maintainer of make-kpkg on irc it seems this is
expected behaviour. This behaviour allows to build a 32bit kernel for
installation on amd64 or (more importantly) to build a 64bit kernel
for installation on i386.

If you really want a 32bit kernel for i386 you can use a 32bit chroot
or symlink i486-linux-gnu-{gcc,as,objcopy,...} to the 64bit binaries
and do a "real" cross-compile.

You could also change the architecture of the produced binary with

deb-reversion -k "sed -i 's/Architecture: amd64/Architecture: i386/'" DEBIAN/control"

or

deb-reversion -k bash    and edit the control file yourself

MfG
        Goswin

PS: I just thought of one more thing. Try --cross-compile "".