picture in the message body

I know,it seems to be a quite stupid problem,but how could I attach a picture file to my e-mail message in Unix command prompt?I can only use the prompt interface,so there is no X,but there are useful programs like pine,and naturally the originally integrated mail application.The excercise is to attach a picture to the message,and then sen another message where the picture is in the body of my message.Does anyone have some great idea?Thanks for all your help in advance,and sorry for disturbing you with such a stupid problem.