Re: Problem with my HDD and FS's after upgrade and cloning the HDD

Hello James,

* James Brown schrieb:

> I use the Debian Lenny AMD64 on my laptop Acer TravelMate 3043.
> After upgrading from my old HDD 120GB to 500GB and cloning the first to
> the last, I have the next problem:
[...]
I think you have cloned your disk with an external Desktop-PC, right?
And the desktop PC has another hardware than your laptop!
I've hat a similar problem 3 weeks ago with one of my customers,
I cloned a disk of a desktop
PC (Suse 8.2) by hand with another desktop PC  (Suse 10.2). I had the
a simlar error (I don't remember the exactly error text) and
Suse 8.2 didn't find the partitions! I use always ext3 as filesystem.
So I cloned again the disk in the Suse 8.2 machine and all went well,
no errors!

An idea: take parted or acronis Disk Director, etc, boot your Laptop
with one of these tools (e.g. take knoppix on CD/DVD) and resize your
partitions a little bit! But leave your disk in your latop! parted
or acronis, .. should make correct boundaries while resizing.

Let me know if you have success.

Feel free top forward/quote my posting to debian-laptop@lists.debian.org,
I'm not subscribed.

Ekkard