Re: I want all my 4GB!!!

Bob Proulx wrote:
James Brown wrote:
Bob Proulx wrote:
Hmm...  I recommend installing memtest86+ and then seeing how much
memory it detects at boot time.

  apt-get install memtest86+

This should automatically install a grub boot entry and be very easy
to boot into afterward.  I am thinking it might only detect 3G too.
In any case this would be a good independent test.
I have installed this packege but I can  find neither a man-page of it
nor the help information. How can I use it (I think that it works when
system booting) and when (and how) can I see the results of this test?

It is a boot time image.  Reboot and observe the grub boot menu.  Use
the cursor keys to move down to the memtest image.  Boot that image.

Memtest86 will run forever until you stop it from running.  It is an
infinitely running test program.  It is very useful for testing
memory.  But here I was interested in how much memory it reported and
so you could stop it almost immediately after noting that information.

Upstream package documentation mostly documenting building it is
available in /usr/share/doc/memtest86+/README*.

Bob

I'm posting the obvious, but: Are you sure you have installed the amd64 distro?

If so, then it may take some kernel boot parameters to see all of the memory, or you may need to check your BIOS settings.

Mark Allums