Re: 32 bit pkg on amd64
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: 32 bit pkg on amd64
- From: Alexandru Cardaniuc <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 00:50:58 -0700
- Message-id: <[🔎] email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <20090302153541.GE23244@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> (Lennart Sorensen's message of "Mon\, 2 Mar 2009 10\:35\:41 -0500")
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20090302153541.GE23244@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
email@example.com (Lennart Sorensen) writes:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 09:36:54AM -0300, firstname.lastname@example.org
>> can we run 32 bit pkg on amd64?
>> specifically I would like to run skype-debian_22.214.171.124-1_i386.deb
> You could probably force the arch (not recommended)
> You could install it in a 32bit chroot (works fine and lets you
> install needed libraries too if any)
Also not needed. Just install ia32-libs and unpack skype from skype.org
in any directory. It just works.
> You might be able to use dpkg-cross to convert the package and make it
> installable, although libraries would still be an issue.
> You could nag skype to get with the current reality and make a 64bit
AFAIK, they promised 64-bit linux support to come this year.
> Or you could choose to ignore the awfulness that is skype and use
> ekiga or something else standards commpliant and open source which
> doesn't use an awful secret p2p like protocol. :)
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
- Albert Einstein