issue limits.h when compiling

If this list accepts that I am trying to compile with icc instead of
gcc (amd64 lenny), I am getting "could not open source file limits.h",
which is in /usr/include

I have added -l/usr/include to CFLAGS in config.h ate no avail:

ld: cannot find -l/usr/include

I did not encounter such issue - in the same compilation - when I was
at amd64 etch. The old compilation does not run on lenny.

If, because of icc, it is out of topic, please have my apologies and
skip the message. I am really unhappy to be at intel in this case (for
ifort, that of icc is a needed preliminary; I am really unable to find
the right flags with gnu Fortran for the very difficult part of the
code)

thanks
francesco pietra