Re: Machine died

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:29:38AM -0600, Mark Allums wrote:
> I am thinking, no BIOS reprogram necessary.  Power Supply is always a
> good guess.  I think it is time for a new system, but don't completely
> give up on the old one.  Build a new machine, and when it is up and
> running, go back and see if the old one can be salvaged and put to good use.

Bad RAM is always a potential problem too if the pwoer supply isn't it.
Loose connection from the power supply to the mainboard, but I suspect
that would have been solved after trying another power supply.

> Build the new machine using an Intel CPU this time 'round, whether it
> was AMD or Intel before.  Core 2 is your best bet, A Xeon for servers or
> multisocket workstations.  It is too soon to buy Nehalem, if you need to
> buy it today.  If you can wait three months, consider a Core i7.

I agree entirely.

> Almost any wired network NIC will do.  The onboard ones are probably
> supported by Linux.

Yeah usually.  I discovered recently that some (like BNX2 that IBM uses
a lot) require a firmware file.  How annoying when doing a netinstall.

> Get a 80+ PS, meaning a PS that is at least 80% efficient.  If you use
> it in an office building, or business, get one with power factor correction.
>
> For a personal desktop machine, if 3d is necessary, nVidia or AMD/ATI
> both will do.  AMD recently had its fiasco with the midrange chips.  You
> may with to go with the red team (ATI) this time, until nVidia gets its
> act together.

I am sticking with nvidia until ati gets their driver act together
(hasn't ever happend yet, but there is always hope it will happen some
day).  My experience is that ATI makes great video chips and reliable
boards, and have amazingly bad drivers and support.  I used to use
nothing else until I got badly burned by that, and won't deal with them
again until they prove they care about customers.

> An Intel motherboard (I mean the motherboard itself is Intel) is
> generally supported well by Linux.

I will only buy Asus.  I have seen intel boards fail quickly, and I have
read lots of horror stories about intel's crappy BIOS bugs and how many
months (if not years) it takes to even get them to admit they screwed up
(like the problem with 4GB ram on the 965 boards).  Nice chipsets, lousy
boards and service.