Re: ia32 libs

On 03-Nov-2008 14:06.47 (GMT), Lennart Sorensen wrote:
 > It looks to me like gtk (stupidly) has hardcoded library paths and
 > filenames it uses to load things like libxfce.som rather than loading
 > the library through ld.so (which knows now to deal with 32 versus 64 bit
 > libraries).

The problem lies with ia32-libs-gtk, since it is a repack of libgtk2.0-0 and
associated libraries. The build is made on a 32-bit system where the
support libraries are installed in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/, and hence it looks for
libraries in that path. dl() is (indirectly) what is producing the ELF class
error.

It shouldn't be too difficult to have proper 32-bit builds that use the -m32
gcc flag to build on a 64-bit system, but since the purpose of this is
almost purely to support binary only 32-bit applications, it's not been
fully supported in Debian.

--
rob andrews                       :: pgp 0xd6c3e484 :: rob@choralone.org