Re: Disk /dev/md6 doesn't contain valid partition table

Francesco,

On Thu 30 October 2008 04:14, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Then, let me ask about a raid1 devised mainly for the system than the
> data (once a calculation is finished, all files are sent to a desktop;
> no data remain in my home. This also because I need fast HDDs, while
> space on WD Raptor is very limited: 150GB each HDD). With so many
> applications that require a long compilation, a fault in the system is
> a terrible waste of time. It occurred to me, at the time I had raid1
> with two cheap HDDs. that one HHD suffered mechanical failure.
> Replaced, the system on raid1 was automatically restored.
>
> Which one of the kindly offered recipes for raid1 is the most suited
> to the above case? (that, I guess, is quite common - if not the norm -
> in computational chemistry, biology, etc).

From your point of view, I don't think it matters. Each method, with or
without LVM, is equally reliable. The advantage of LVM is just that it gives
you more administrative flexibility. Should you subsequently decide that one
volume (partition) is too small and another too large, you can resize them on
the fly--rather than having to backup the partitions, resize them, & then
restore the contents. Also, as someone on another group observed. Raid-1
provided redundancy and LVM adds striping.

Cheers!

cmr/anonymous