Re: libgdbm.so.3

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 05:32:01PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> The executable for program MCCE-2 for protein analysis, installed as a
> binary for Linux on my Deabian amd64 lenny, complains that
>
> libgdbm.so.2
>
> is not present
>
> I made a symlink in /usr/lib
>
> # libgdbm.so.3 libgdbm.so.2

They .2 and .3 are indications that they are NOT compatible.  The number
changed because the library interface changed.

> but mcce raised the same complain above. Thus, contrary all my
> previous experience with other programs requesting older libraries,
> the symlink does not solve present problem. Although this program is
> free for academic non commercial use, the source is not present for
> download.
>
> Therefore, my question: is any procedure to install the requested so.2
> version of library from etch safe?

THat should be fine.  I think that comes from libgdbmg1.  The 3 comes
from libgdbm3.

If nothing else getting the source package for gdbmg1 from etch and
building it on your system should work.