Re: nvidia and latest unstable kernel image

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 04:23:00PM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> Lenny/testing with a sid kernel, at my desk.  Any 2.6.25 kernel that has
> problems with nvidia drivers was sid/unstable at the time.  I had the
> problem here on a 7800GT when I moved from 2.6.24 to 2.6.25.  I was
> patient, and they went away when nvidia released their latest driver.
> I'm using 173.14.09 right now, it's on the main download page for non
> windows and betas on the nvidia website.  Works great.

Using the nvidia installer is a terrible idea in the long term.  It
overwrites files that the package system owns, and the package system
will take them back someday, breaking the nvidia driver in the process.

Just remember how broken windows tends to be.  Then remeber windows
allows all sorts of people to make 3rd party installers that overwrite
system files in the install.  Those two issues are related.

Just say no to 3rd party installers.