Re: amd64 kernel + 32-bit userland: compiling a new amd64 kernel

Le mercredi 02 juillet 2008 à 16:43 +0200, Dieter Rohlfing a écrit :
> Hello everybody,
>
> when I got my new Dell Latitude D830 (1 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T7250) a few
> months ago, I installed the 32-bit version of Debian-Lenny (kernel and userland
> i386-architecture).
>
> A few weeks ago I upgraded the laptop with 3 GB RAM, so now it has a total of 4
> GB RAM. Under the i386 kernel the command free shows about 3.5 GB available
> memory, so I lost about 0.5 GB RAM due to the i386 architecture.
>
> Therefore I installed the amd64 kernel, which is part of the i386 distribution.
> Now free shows 4048 MB available memory. So, now I have a completely i386
> userland and an amd64 kernel.
>
> In order to build a customized new amd64 kernel I guess, I'll need some 64-bit
> libraries for the building process, because as I said: my system is (with the
> exception of the kernel) completey i386, that is it has only 32-bit libraries.
> Now my questions:
>
> Is it possible, to build an amd64 kernel inside an i386 system (with 32-bit
> libraries)? If yes, what additional packages do I have to install? Are they
> available inside the i386 distribution or do I have to download those from the
> amd64 distribution?
>
> I appreciate all hints and replies.

When I need to do this, I do use a i386 chroot which I run with the
linux32 command.
This is probably the safest solution. But it requires setting up a full
chroot with the full build suite for kernels.

Hope it helps.

--
Jérôme Warnier
FLOSS Consultant