Re: 64-bit and chroot

Am Freitag, 7. März 2008 schrieb Javier Serrano Polo:
> El dv 07 de 03 del 2008 a les 16:51 +0100, en/na Hans-J. Ullrich va

Hi Javier !
> escriure:
> > Now my question: To make sure, an application will use the correct
> > library, it must be sure, that the correct library will be used, even the
> > 64-bit-library and the 32-bit-library have got the same name.
> > The only way, to ensure this, is to tell the sourcecode somehow, that it
> > has to use the 32-bit library or the 64-bit-library.
>
> Absolutely not, unless they're private libraries using hard coded paths.

No, all libs are not hardcoded ( as I suppose).

> > IMO this would work fine, if 32-bit-lib and the 64-bit-lib will get
> > different names, and the source code has to be changed, to point to the
> > correct lib.
>
> You don't need to change the source code, just give the right
> configuration.

In the required application, there is no configuration, where I can point the
libs to.
> > I do not know, if this is already implemented,
>
> Certainly, if you read
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=469162#15
> (start from "Remember to add the repository")
> you'll find a repository and won't need the chroot anymore.
>
> > there are still a lot of
> > (non-gpl) applications, which are still only available as
> > 32-bit-versions.
>
> If you tell me what are those applications, what libraries they need, if
> the i386 counterpart is already in Debian... I may be able to help you.

The application is called "X-Plane", it is is a famous flight simulator, but
closed source. Of course it is not in Debian, as the license does not allow
it.

Anyway, if I am understanding your words correctly, then the 32-bit
applications will always know, which lib it has to use, if it is available
and can be found on the system ?

So my way using a chroot is correct and will not cause trouble. Nice to hear
this ! This is really great !

Thank you very much for your help !

> Bye.

Best regards