Re: Partition suggestions.

"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 11:15:11AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 04:25:11PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> > /usr can be read-only while /var must be read-write. Also /var might
>> > cause fragmentation on the FS and then files in /usr will fragment
>> > when you update the system.
>>
>> Then you have to remount when you upgrade stuff, and that usually means
>> shutting down services in some cases.  Extremely annoying hassle.
>

> Why would you have to shutdown services just to remount /usr rw?  Its
> just a remount, not changinf fstab and reboot.
>
> Doug.

You don't have to shutdown services but you have to restart
them. The problem is that an pgrade will delete libraries (replace
them with newer version) and the running services keep the old file
loocked in a shadow existance. The filesystem can only actually delete
them once nobody is using them anymore. And that prevents the
filesystem from being remounted read-only.

On the other hand how much fun is having the system crash or doing a
scheduled reboot and suddenly services don't come back up anymore
becuase 6 month ago you upgrade libfoo? I rather prefer restarting all
services or even rebooting after an upgrade. At least at that time I
still know what I updated and can reverse it (from backup?).

MfG
        Goswin