Re: Partition suggestions.

Am Mittwoch, den 13.02.2008, 20:15 +0000 schrieb Nuno Magalhães:
> Greetings.
>
> Yes, it's a religous question but i'll try to lmit it.
[...]
> 1) What's with those two tmpfs? Are (both) really necessary? Isn't swap enough?

"/lib/init/rw" is used by the initscripts, i guess it is necessary.
"/dev/shm" is your shared memory. See
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/what-is-devshm-and-its-practical-usage.html

> /mnt/win64 is a FAT32 that will become ext3, it has most of my
> personal stuff. I want to leave most of the disk for my /home and
[...]
> Usually i use / and /home only. This is a 160GB Maxtor drive.
> 2) How about 20GB for / and everything else for /home?

What about 500 MB for "/boot". Your kernel-images (and _only_ your
kernel-images!) will go there. The rest is for swap and "/". So you
don't have to worry about not being able to boot caused by a full
disk ...  :)

> 3) is it worth it to separate /var and /usr on a desktop system? Why?
> Why not? What sizes?

Well, yes and no, it depends on your needs.... ;)

But as you said: most of the things on your hd are obviously not part of
the linux-disto, so I guess your biggest need is free diskspace for your
"/home". So: put everything in one big partition (except "/boot"), and
you don't have to worry about free-space and partitition-sizes.

Or, if you can afford it: get yourself one or more external HDs and use
them like cds... ;-)

HTH,
Marcus