Re: reinstalling Debian - part I

"...copy all files in the partition to be resized into a subdirectory
on another partition. (This other partition must have room enough)"
It ain't :-) i'm gonna get an external drive and backup into it.

"You could also switch to "aptitude" which will remove some unused
packages automatically for you."
I did, it freed 0KB  :) gnome-core is not installed but there are many
gnomelings in the system nonetheless, mostly libraries but also stuff
like nautilus, epiphany and yelp. Hence me wanting to reinstall, it's
just easier and fun :)

"...then run "debsums -s"..."
Its output was "debsums: no md5sums for <package>" for all the
packages, anything to toggle when i run the installer again?

"...So no package manager, unless you create and maintain your own big
package that contains all the stuff you needed before getting to the
package manager."
I'll consider that. I wanna do an LFS but i want to make it "just
work" at its final stages.

"The question is - do you care about looks or speed?"
Nope, xdm it is

"..."lspci" tells you what you have. For nvidia, use the proprietary
driver to "use it to the max" or the nv driver if you want to stay
open-source."
lspci gave me "00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation
C51PV [GeForce 6150] (rev a2)". I'm using the nv driver 'cos
installing NVidia's one was a mess. I don't really need bleeding edge,
all the games are in the windows partition anyway ;-)

"Sure, you can install a minimal system on a 2GB drive."
That was me going offtopic, but the average i get with a "minimal"
(+X) is around 800MB... We'll see.

Thanks for the tips!

--
Fica bem, porta-te mal.