Tyan, Dell, Medion [Was: Re: Machine died]

Hello.

Just to close this thread and thank all those who have provided advice.

And also say all the bad I think of Tyan's literally non-existing support:
I sent them a mail asking for advice on the possible causes of the
motherboard (K8W Tiger S2875) behaviour I was seeing. They didn't even
answer (yet?), after more than 5 weeks!

Finally, I had the opportunity to buy a complete low-cost "Medion" desktop.
I was afraid that some components might not be supported by Linux but, so
far, no problem:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
    Motherboard: MSI
     * integrated audio (playback and recording) works
     * integrated wired network works
     * integrated firewire works
     * integrated memory card reader works
    Graphics: Nvidia 9600 GT
    HDD: Western Digital (1 TB)
And very silent :-)

[Only, I didn't find the advertised wireless network (couldn't spot anything
related to it in "dmesg") but I as I didn't intend to use it anyway...]

For one moment, I considered Dell. I called them because their site  is very
uninformative concerning the hardware. I told them I wanted to use Linux and
be sure that it would work with the shipped components. The answer was that
I could erase the pre-installed M$ stuff but that the warranty would not
apply if some components did not work. Saying that if I could not get any
compatibility info or even just a hardware list to check myself, I wouldn't
be able to buy from them, the guy just said "No" and hung up.

[Compare that with "Aldi" (where I bought the Medion machine): Within one
month, one can return the whole thing and be reimbursed, no question asked.]

Best,
Gilles