Re: What is the best java for debian-amd64 ?

On Thursday 18 September 2008 16:55:43 Stephen Olander-Waters wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 16:19 -0300, Fabricio Cannini - Yahoo wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 September 2008 15:05:17 Stephen Olander-Waters wrote:
> > > Allow me to unrecommend Blackdown JRE 1.4.2. Unfortunately, the
> > > maintainers of xul-runner have seen fit to conflict with every version
> > > of jre 1.4.2.
> > >
> > > Your choices are to force reinstallation of Blackdown 1.4.2 after every
> > > dist-upgrade or install it outside of package management.
> > >
> > > Those of us stuck with legacy applications on modern OS's are in a bind
> > > with this situation.
> > >
> > > -s
> >
> > Hi Stephen!
> >
> > Have you tried to use  /etc/apt/preferences' do disallow apt-get/aptitude
> > of uninstalling Blackdown's jre ?
>
> No. I did not think that worked for conflicting packages. I thought it
> would make xulrunner uninstall or disable dist-upgrading.
>
> Is that not true?
> -s

You caught me on this one. :)
I'm not sure about what would happen, but you can try the following in
'/etc/apt/preferences' :

Package: blackdown-jvm
Pin: version 1.4.*
Pin-Priority: 1100

IFINR aptitude will, at the very least, ask you what to do.

Good luck!