Re: libgfortran.so.1

On Friday 29 August 2008 08.31.07 Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi Anders:
> Being unfamiliar with that type of installation of libraries, in the
> fear of damaging the system I have not yet tried.

You can always configure and build gcc and then copy libgfortran.so.1.0.0 and
its symlinks to i.e. /usr/local/lib[64].

Another option is to install the gcc-suite with --prefix=/opt/gcc-x.y.z,
run 'make -n' before installing to ensure nothing gets overwritten by
accident.

> Easier for me would be a soft link. Do you know if the other libraries
> below can do the runtime job of libgfortran.so.1?

I don't think that would work. Usually the so-version is bumped on a library
when changes in the library interface has made it incompatible with the
previous version. Adding symlinks like that will probably generate segfaults
sooner or later.

> Why the package libgfortran1 for the latter is available for i386
> lenny and not amd64 lenny? Is any backports for the latter?

Hmm, I only find libgfortran.so.1 in Etch. Is your libgfortran.so.1 in i386
something left from an dist upgrade?

> Thanks
> francesco

// Anders