Re: Automatically build and install kernel-modules

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 05:03:51PM +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> althoug this is not quite debian-amd-related, I am looking fo a way, to
> automatically build and install kernel-modules, which must normally build by
> hand and, which got sources in the repository. These are i.e. madwifi,
> nvidia-kernel and some other.
>
> Why not manually ? Well, the problem is, when a new kernel-version was
> installed, and the required modules are not build, it might make the system
> unusable (i.e. wireless networking will not work any more, or Xwon't start)
>
> This is a problem for newbies (and other users with less technical knowledge).
>
> So my idea: Change the kernel-installer scripts, so that they build and
> install the modules at a new kernel (the script might compare between "before
> update" and "installation version")  and then build the required modules out
> of a list using module-assistant commandline-tool (or m-a -i).
>
> Or miss I something and this is already working at another way ? So let me
> know.

So you want Ubuntu's dkms system?

I tried to do it with a startup script calling m-a if a certain module
didn't load, but that didn't always work so well so I went back to doing
it manually, although I only have to do it for the nvidia driver now.
lirc I use the ubuntu version which uses dkms and is hence automatic,
and for ivtv it is now in the kernel and hence no longer a problem.