Re: IPTables allow ping.

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 08:58:19AM +0200, Vitezslav Kotrla wrote:
> Bharath Ramesh píše v Pá 13. 06. 2008 v 21:29 +0200:
>
> > $IPT --append INPUT --in-interface $EXTIF --protocol icmp --icmp-type 0 \
> >       --destination $EXTIP --match state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED \
> >       --jump ACCEPT
>
> A side note: I wonder how much use is "--match state" in ICMP context.
> (Well, I can't see any icmp entries in /proc/net/ip_conntrack anyway).
> You might want to consult debian-firewall list.

ICMP could be related to different tcp / udp streams for example you
might allow in ftp via the firewall, but not have a ftpd server running.
So the icmp that is generated from a failed attemped is related to the
original tcp stream.

the op should probably have 1 line at the top of the chaine for
ESTABLISHED,RELATED to cover all the est/related packets