Re: C.P.U. suggestions.

++++++++ Dean Hamstead 18:28 Thu 12 Jun      ++++++++

intel cpus are smashing AMD cpus except in the very low end market
you are best off buying an intel quad core... sadly.

Chris Wakefield wrote:

To my dissappointment my 'AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800' has been a ho-hum experience; don't know if it's the scheduler with the default debian compile that seems to effect the performance, but it's certainly nothing to write home about. .....I actually found my original AMD 64 Processor 3200+ (the one with 1 MiB L2 cache) to be probably the best CPU I ever had and I think just as capable as my X2.

So, I'm wondering about the Core Duo family and which is best for the desktop? (I've built about 3 machines for clients with these CPU's and they seem very snappy. I'm even talking about the 1.8 MHz variety).

I've had the opposite experience (AMD being a bit faster).  However,
three things:

   1. Tweak and build my own kernel, setting scheduler parameters.  (Any
      apparent performance increase may be dumb luck, thouhg.)

   2. The Core Duo is on a DELL laptop, so that may cripple it a bit
      (chuckle).

   3. Due to problems running Win 2000 in a virtual machine, I doubled
      the RAM to 4 Gb.

In general, the AMD system is a tiny bit faster, but at generating ISO
files it absolutely smashes the Core Duo systems (again, with the above
provisos).

Anyway, let us know your experience.  Since I just upgraded, it will be
awhile before "family considerations" will permit the purchase of a quad
core and 24 Gb of RAM <grin>.

Chris

--
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.