package update manager is a bit ropey...

Dear folks,

The package update manager keeps turning orange on me and inviting me to download updates.

But when I click on it then it fails to work.

It says its going to install the packages and then produces a blank window with no packages to download.

The only way to kill it is to click on the top right hand tiny death box......

It then gives you a choice between waiting for a while to see if the updates are actually going to appear or killing the update process off completely.

I tried waiting and it failed.

So I killed the process.

This would have been OK but then if you try to use apt or synaptic to install packages they won't work because they think that you are running some other packages that downloads packages etc.

The only way to get out of this is to reboot (that I found anyway).

Maybe I should ignore all updates until Lenny officially released in order to avoid this problem.

Unless someone has a better idea.......

I am using Debian Lenny/Sid with the Sid repositories commented out in the apt sources file to stop new kernels from being installed on my AMD64 5000 X2 box every five minutes and blowing the nvidia driver installation away....

Regards

Michael Fothergill

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/