dumb question about installing project looking glass in amd64....

Dear folks,

I installed project looking glass on my machine here (AMD64 dual core; Nvidia card 8600GT running Lenny/sid amd64 version).

I installed the program as recommended by adding the following line to my apt sources.list file:

deb http://javadesktop.org/lg3d/debian testing contrib

When I first tried to install it using apt-get install lg3d-core it failed with a well known error message.

A helpful web site shows this crash and how to fix it.

(http://www.go2linux.org/Looking-glass-on-debian-Etch)

Here is an excerpt from the site which shows the crash and the fix:

****************************************************************************8

This is what i get:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
lg3d-core is already the newest version.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up lg3d-core (1.0.0) ...
/usr/share/lg3d/bin/postinstall: line 10: /bin/arch: No such file or directory
/usr/share/lg3d/bin/../bin/add-lg-to-gdm: line 28: /bin/arch: No such file or directory
Success. LG has been added as a gdm session.
/usr/share/lg3d/bin/postinstall: line 43: cd: /usr/share/lg3d/bin/../lib/linux-/lg3d-x11/programs/Xserver: No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `Xorg': No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access `Xorg': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `Xorg': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing lg3d-core (--configure):
lg3d-core

any help!?

    * reply

A solution would be ...
Submitted by mtakabon33 (not verified) on Sun, 01/13/2008 - 20:32.

A solution would be ... .
The script '/usr/share/lg3d/bin/postinstall' is called from the Postinst script file '/var/lib/dpkg/info/lg3d-core.postinst'.
The 10-th line of the file "/usr/share/lg3d/bin/postinstall" is
ARCH=`/bin/arch`.
The error messages indicates the command '/bin/arch' not existing
in your machine. Note the line
/usr/share/lg3d/bin/../lib/linux-/lg3d-x11/programs/Xserver
where 'linux-' comes from linux-${ARCH}.
It shoud be 'linux-i686' and so on.
So far, the arch command had been supplied from the (Debian)
package 'util-linux'. But now this command is not included. See
http://bugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=446023
In the above report, it is suggested that
using 'uname -m' instead of 'arch' is much better.
So, an easiest way is the following.

With root permission
$ cd /bin; echo 'uname -m'> /bin/arch; chmod 755 /bin/arch

After doing this, you would be able to install the package lg3d-core.
$ apt-get install lg3d-core

    * reply

Following this I opened a root terminal and typed:

$ cd /bin; echo 'uname -m'> /bin/arch; chmod 755 /bin/arch

Then I installed lg3g-core without the crash.

But when I tried to run it, it crashed.  I wondered if somehow apt had pulled the i386 package instead of the amd64 package.

what would be a simple command I could run to check whether it was the amd64 deb files that were installed rather than the i386 ones?

Shouldn't the i386 ones crash immediately and fail install on an amd64 box like mine with an amd64 OS on it?

If you go in the contrib directory of the looking glass repository then there are directories for the amd64 deb files and the i386 ones.

Do I need to add an extra term to the apt sources.list entry to specify the directory i.e.:

deb http://javadesktop.org/lg3d/debian testing contrib binary-amd64

or should apt be smart enough to automatically find the amd64 deb file itself?

Regards

Michael Fothergill

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000009ukm/direct/01/