Re: dvi vs vga etc and monitors.....

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 13:22 +1000, simon wise wrote:
> On 28 May 2008, at 8:17 AM, Michael Fothergill wrote:
>
> > Is it also true that if you switched it for a 50 meter DVI cable
> > then everything would be perfect and the signal degradation would
> > vanish?
>
> for long runs VGA is better, DVI doesn't work for long runs, although
> there are some (very expensive) longer DVI cables around, I think the
> maximum is much less than 50 meters.

I cannot speak from experience, but the Wikipedia page says:

---
The maximum length of DVI cables is not included in the specification
since it is dependent on bandwidth requirements (the resolution of the
image being transmitted). In general, cable lengths from 1-15 feet
(4.5m) will work for displays at resolutions of 1920x1200. Cable lengths
up to 50 feet (15m) can be used with displays at resolutions up to
1280x1024. For longer distances, to eliminate the video degradation, the
use of a DVI booster is recommended. DVI boosters may or may not use an
external power supply.
---
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Having said that, I agree with Lennart that if money is no object, go
for DVI for a clean, digital signal. However, Simon has a good point
that, where possible, put the computer[s] as near to the display device
as possible and control it remotely.

Cheers,
-s