Re: Laptop advice

On May 10, 2008, at 7:29, lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 01:41:57PM +0000, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 15:30:10 +0200, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

- Lightweight but usable (i.e. screen should be 14" or 15").

I'd stick with 13.3", since nowadays you seem to only be getting
widescreen laptops. And those are pretty big.

Certainly a 15.4" widescreen (as is quite common) makes for a very large
laptop, and the 13.3" widescreen are the same resolution (1280x800) so
no loss there.

1440x1050 is a nice crisp resolution on a T61.

- Wired network adapter

Can't think of a non supported one.

I am sure someone can find one, but it would be unusual.

- Wireless network adapter

Go with Intel, be it 4965 or 3945.

I will second that. As long as you have a 2.6.22 or higher kernel they
simply work.

Atheros is even better than intel imho. It allows for more tricks with airsnort and friends.

I bought an Asus Z37E barebone and customized it to my liking, and the
only nonsupported thing is the webcam, as of now.
I'd have gone with a Thinkpad but it was not available when I needed a laptop, but if you have the cash for it, go with one and never look back.

Agreed.

Check out tuxmobil.org and linux-laptop.net for comprehensive information.

And thinkwiki.org if you are considering thinkpads. The x61 is quite cheap and light.