Re: persona non grata...

CMR, Micheal

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 13:45 -0500, C M Reinehr wrote:
> On Thu 01 May 2008 13:25, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> > Dear folks,
> >
> > I got an email asking me to leave the list.
> >
> > If you wish I will go.
> >
> > Please take a vote
> >
> > MF
>
> IIANM, this is not a request that you unsubscribe from the list. Rather,
> someone has highjacked your email address and sent in a counterfeit request
> for you to be unsubscribed and this is asking for confirmation. I would
> ignore it & keep posting.

CMR, I believe that you right.  As it happened I installed mailman on
one of my servers today.  To test your theory I just send an e-mail (the
subject just said "Test" and so did the body) and I got a request to
unsubscribe message back.

If a spammer is forging Michael's e-mail address and also spamming the
Debian AMD64 unsubscribe e-mail address (because their dumb software
just scrapped it from a publicly archived record) then it is very likely
that Micheal would get the unsubscribe confirmation request.

Micheal, if you still have the original message then I suggest that you
forward it to the -admin address.  It might be that the list maintainers
can track down where the trigger came from and improve their spam
detection and rejection configuration.

Steve