P5K-VM v BFG NVidia 8800GT OC

Hi all,

I am on a Pentium dual-core system (E2160) with 4GB RAM housed on an Asus P5K-VM motherboard with integrated Intel G33 / GMA3100 graphics, running Debian testing downloaded about 3 weeks ago.

Although I am no expert, I have used Linux for 10 years, and Debian has been my distro of choice since 2000. I have used Nvidia cards for nearly 8 years now, and have been more than happy with their performance. I have used the proprietary Nvidia drivers exclusively since switching from ATI in 2001.

My troubles started yesterday when I bought a BFG 8800 GT PCI-Express card with 512mb RAM
On this motherboard, I am unable to even have a console running.

The BIOS allows you to switch off the onboard graphics, which I have done, of course.

I upgraded to a custom 2.6.24.4 kernel last night, and made sure that I followed the wiki.debian.org HOWTO closely by disabling the fb_riva, fb_nvidia and fb_vesa framebuffers. I have enabled SMP options as per the CPU.

Every other Nvidia card and motherboard combo would default to console when I would install a new kernel.

This combination switches to a framebuffer with a Debian logo when using the G33 integrated graphics, but goes totally blank with the NVidia card installed. I can't even put it back into console.... help!

Suggestions welcomed!

Cheers
Mass