Re: DG965ss

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Dr. Helmut G. Enders wrote:

I tried an amd64 installation on an Intel DG965SS board with 8GByte.
The system is very very slow (installation more than 1 day.) and
I got corrupt files from the net (e.g. apt-get update).

Justin Piszcz:

Use the following boot option:
append="mem=8832M"

Yes it works, thanks.

I wouldn't touch the BIOS
Justin.

You are right, I first changed back in the bios.
Tt worked with the mem problem, but I got a lot
of new troubles. So I ruefully come back to your
advice and updated the bios to the new
version again and with your option it worked
nearly perfect.  Even my grub problem with the
raid controller (3ware) disappeared.

I still have one strange error.
When I do a apt-get install <large deb file>,
e.g. linux-image-2.6..., this file
is corrupted (apt-get said gzip: invalid
compressed data). If I fetch this deb-file
with wget into /var/cache/apt/archives
and do an apt-get install <package>
it worked.  I tried within my net some
filetransfers without a problem. So the
interface seems to be ok.
Strange, do you use an http proxy by any chance? Also you could try a different mirror just incase there was some temporal weirdness. I assume you ran the latest version of memtest86 and let it cook for some time?

And apt-get from my other maschine with
the same net/firewall to the same mirror
worked smoothly.

Helmut