Re: AMD dual core vs Intel core 2 quad

On February 6, 2008 08:35 am Francesco Pietra wrote:
> In the last few days I asked advice about upgrading from a 2-way Tyan
> motherboard Thunder K8WES2895 with two series-2xx AMD dual core opteron
> to a 4-way motherboard. I learned from both Lennart Sorensen and Daniel
> Tryba that I can't use my series 2xx and should buy series 8xx. The
> price for such system is largely beyond what I can afford for private
> use.

Opteron 200-series can only be used in 2-socket motherboards.  With
dual-core CPUs, this gives you 4 CPU cores to use.

Opteron 800-series can be used in 4-socket motherboards.  With dual-core
CPUs, this gives you 8 CPU cores to use.

Both of the above are based on the same CPU architecture, and use the same
RAM -- DDR-333 or DDR-400.

The newer Opterons (1000-, 2000-, 8000-series) use DDR2-533, DDR2-667, or
DDR2-800 RAM.  So you can't use your RAM in newer motherboards with newer
Opterons.

Intel Xeon processors use FB-DIMM RAM, so you can't use your RAM with
those.  These can be used in 2-socket or 4-socket motherboards, with up
to 4-cores per socket.  These are also very expensive, run very hot, and
require very specific chipsets and motherboards.  Depending on the
workload and RAM requirements, these are either a lot faster than
Opterons or a lot slower.

Intel Core2 processors use DDR2 RAM and only on 1-socket motherboards.

The only way to save parts would be to get a 4-socket motherboard and AMD
Opteron 800-series PCUs.  Then you could re-use your RAM.

Otherwise, you have to get new CPUs, new RAM, and a new motherboard.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com