Re: b43 driver oddities...

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 02:31:40PM +0100, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> I know this is not strictly an amd64 matter, but I just discovered something
> odd (for me) and wanted to understand if it's just me.
> I have an asus A6K, with one of the (in)famous broadcom wireless chips.
> Until kernel 2.6.24 I was only able to (partially) use wifi via ndiswrapper,
> meaning that I could only use unencrypted or wep (almost the same) links,
> wpa and wpa2 never worked. From time to time I also tried using the bcm43xx
> driver, with no joy.

What bcm do you have? My HP laptop with a bcm4328 worked almost
perfectly (2.6.23 had some troubles) with drivers kindly supplies by
Dell (R140746.EXE) and wpa_supplicant:

ndiswrapper: using IRQ 10
wlan0: ethernet device 00:1a:bc:de:f0:12 using NDIS driver: bcmwl5,
version: 0x4640f05, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter',
14E4:4328.5.conf
wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK;
AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK

> Then came 2.6.24 and, surprise surprise, ndiswrapper does not work any more.
> It gets compiled and loaded ok, but no interface appears. I suppose there
> was some API change in the kernel that was not corrected for in the
> ndiswrapper code.

ndiswrapper still works:
$ uname -a
Linux laptop 2.6.24-1-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 31 19:46:44 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ sudo wpa_cli status
Selected interface 'wlan0'
bssid=0f:19:d8:e1:af:93
ssid=42-wpa
id=0
id_str=home
pairwise_cipher=CCMP
group_cipher=TKIP
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_state=COMPLETED
ip_address=10.0.2.67

> On the other hand, the shiny new b43 driver appeared.  Apparently,
[snip]
> networks. I still have to test in depth, but it appears to work.

Great. Hope you can give some good feedback.

> Where exactly was it ever made
> known that you have to "ifconfig up" your wireless interface before you can
> have it list the available networks?

Ehhh, all chipsets I ever used worked this way :)

--

 When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

   Daniel Tryba