Re: Total vs per-cpu memory

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

Insufficient ram does not EVER cause a segmentation fault.  Only buggy
code causes segmentation faults.

If a bad programmer simply calls malloc and doesn't check that it
succeeded before using it, then you get a segmentation fault, but only
because the programmer didn't write proper code.

absolutely true. But then, who is so diligent to always do so, especially
when developing your own code for scientific computation? I've written some,
and only when it was for "public consumption" I cared to put all the checks
in all the places... :P

Ciao
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

believed to be clean.