Re: Package xserver-xorg-core and Nvidia

On January 22, 2008 02:56:46 pm Karl Schmidt wrote:
> Stephen Cormier wrote:
> > It is definitely the problem you won't get it to install unless you
> > rebuild the package source
>
> Which package source? please email me the corrected package - what ever it
> is (BTW there are ways to force installation - wouldn't that work?)

The package needing to be downloaded is nvidia-kernel-source with something
like this apt-get source nvidia-kernel-source as normal user this after
having made a new directory and changed into it as the source package is
downloaded into the current directory where the command is run from. I would
not force it installing it will probably just break your install until you
upgraded to the newer X.

> > having modified it so that it will install with the X
> > version being 2:1.3
>
> I have:
>
> wajig list xorg
> ii  xorg                                                    1:7.2-5
> X.Org X Window System
> ii  xserver-xorg                                            1:7.2-5
> the X.Org X server
> ii  xserver-xorg-core
> 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12 X.Org X server -- core server
>

> I think you are referring to the version of  xserver-xorg-core ?

Yes I am referring to that version we have identical packages installed for
these.

apt-cache policy xorg xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core
xorg:
  Installed: 1:7.2-5
  Candidate: 1:7.2-5
  Version table:
     1:7.3+10 0
        600 http://ftp.de.debian.org sid/main Packages
 *** 1:7.2-5 0
        990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
xserver-xorg:
  Installed: 1:7.2-5
  Candidate: 1:7.2-5
  Version table:
     1:7.3+10 0
        600 http://ftp.de.debian.org sid/main Packages
 *** 1:7.2-5 0
        990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
xserver-xorg-core:
  Installed: 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12
  Candidate: 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12
  Version table:
     2:1.4.1~git20080118-1 0
        600 http://ftp.de.debian.org sid/main Packages
 *** 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12 0
        990 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> > as I mentioned in my first mail and yes you need the -glx
> > package installed as well. If you do not want to rebuild the packages as
> > I mentioned in my previous mail I have them here and can send them to you
> > so you can get it installed.
>
> Please send me the packages you think I need. (Thanks in advance!)

Done you should be getting four emails with a package attached to each.

> >  You would only need to remove the currently
> > installed ones install the source .deb I send you build/install the
> > binary module then install the -glx and you are good to go.
> >
> > Stephen
>
> Did you send the patch to the package maintainer?

Wouldn't be much of a patch it is only changing a single digit in the
nvidia-glx section of the control file, it would probably be just be
classified as a wishlist bug and not fixed anyways.

PS: No need to CC me I read the list, thanks.

Stephen

--
GPG Public Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc