ASUS m2npv-vm high-pitch bug returns!

It's the high-pitch noise on left channel, sound only on right channel.
I SOLVED it but i'm curious as to why has The Bug returned.

I had this problem in the beggining and i remember it was a matter of
adding some lines somewhere. I think it was this line at the end of
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack
The line's there. Whatever it was it worked fine from then on.

A few sessions ago i started palying a file, heard the first second of
it, then sound went dead and the noise came back. Restarting alsa
takes no effect.

The only recent change i've done has been to configure flash for
amd64. As far as sound goes i stopped using esd and started using
ALSA. i'm using xfce isntead of gnome and briefly used window maker. I
set XMMS to use ALSA and everything was working fine with flash videos
and mp3 for the last 2-3 sessions.

My board's an Asus M2NPV-VM
alsamixer gives this info:
Card: HDA NVidia
Chip Analog Devices AD1986A

I've tried these suggestions:

echo "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack" >
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-fix
and
echo "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack" >
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-special
both followed by /etc/init.d/alsa reload
no effect.

I already have "noapic" in the "kernel" line of /boot/grub/menu.lst
# kopt=root=/dev/sda4 ro noapic nolapic (there are instructions not to uncoment)

I also saw reference to an NVIDIA chipset driver,
NFORCE-Linux-x86_64-1[1].0-0311-pkg1,but i assume one can use a
regular free driver, no?

Eventually a reboot got rid of the high-pitch sound but there is no
sound in the left channel anyway. I got everything off of *.deb so i
assume it's tested. I ran alsaconf just for the hell of it and it
shows two different sound cards:
hda-intel	nVidia MCP51 (whichi use) and
mpu401 		snd-mpu401
why two?

It also refers to  /etc/modprobe.d/sound which has this:
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0
(exactly the same as before)
and /etc/modprobe.conf which doesn't exist).

This is not hardware related. What's buging me is why the hell did
this issue return if it was already solved...
Any obscure thoughts?

--
Fica bem, porta-te mal.
Be well, misbehave.