[SOLVED] Re: apt-get problem

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:39:04PM -0600, Don Montgomery wrote:
that sounds like a good idea; perhaps I could google up
"proxy package" and find out what might be there?

Well given you had files named anon-proxy, then it is probably this
package:

anon-proxy - Proxy to surf the web anonymously

So 'apt-get remove --purge anon-proxy'

That should clean it out thoroughly.

Len,

Based on output from

'apt-cache search --names-only proxy'

I ran

'apt-get remove --purge anon-proxy privoxy'

and then the output from

'grep 4001 -r /etc/'

revealed no further http proxy entries.

apt-get update works fine now, and my system is updating even as I write this. Thank you, everyone, for all of your help and patience.

Don