Re: nvidia-glx not updating

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:13:24AM +1100, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> you need to make the kernel module.
>
> its easy, if module-assistant (m-a) isnt installed, just go
> apt-get install module-assistant (may not be with a -)
>
> then do this...
>
> m-a prepare nvidia
> m-a a-i nvidia

Unfortunately it seems m-a doesn't understand the current version of the
nvidia driver.  It claims it can't find the source archive (it is
/usr/src/nvidia-kernel-source.tar.bz2).

Doing this worked for me:

cd /usr/src
rm -rf modules/nvidia*
tar xjf nvidia-kernel-source.tar.bz2
m-a a-i -t nvidia

m-a still can't find the source, but since I already extracted it for
it, it now builds an up to date module rather than continuing to reuse
the extracted source from version 100 or so.

After that nvidia-glx has no problem upgrading since there is now a
matching kernel module package installed.