Re: How to wifi with ipw3945 on Dell Vostro ???

Helge Hafting wrote:
Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
Hi,

I am running Debian Lenny on a Dell Vostro laptop which has a ipw3945
wifi card.

The card is recognised by the software and it even works somehow  (I can
see all the wifi networks in my building using wifi-radar). But whatever
I do I cannot get a  (DHCP) ip address from my Zyxel AP which is using a
WEP key (and it did when I still used Windows Vist so I know for a fact
that it is possible).
You need:
* A driver module. If you use the 2.6.22-3 kernel from debian testing, install
 the ipw3945-modules-2.6.22-3-amd64 package.
 Then make sure that /etc/modules contains a line with "ipw3945
 You probably have this already, or you wouldn't be able to use the
 card at all.

* The package ipw3945d. Install it and make sure the daemon is
  running, or the card won't work properly. Without this, the card
  will seem ok but anything you do will fail silently and mysteriously.

After that, set it up to associate with your access point.
For a quick test, use iwconfig directly. For a permanent setup, put
something like this in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth2 inet dhcp
pre-up iwconfig eth2 essid YOURSSID key YOURKEY

(Assuming the card is eth2. Use "key off" if there is no
encryption. If there is WPA encryption, get additional
software for supporting WPA. Get the card working
on a open or WEP encrypted net first, to rule out driver problems.
WPA is trickier to set up than WEP)

Hexadecimal keys are easiest to deal with, as there are
two incompatible ways of specifying the key as a text string.
The driver uses one way, some access points use the other way.
Hex is more typing but works everytime.

Also make sure you have a package with dhcp software,
for example dhcp3-client

Helge Hafting

Thought I'd throw in a suggestion that you look into the iwlwifi driver. Intel has moved on to the next "best thing". The iwl driver doesn't require the stupid daemon (a big step). And my initial impression is that it will probably support WEP/WPA more effectively. I haven't used WEP/WPA with it yet but it's on my agenda. I haven't had any issues since I switched from iwp to iwlwifi.

http://intellinuxwireless.org/