Re: Eth%d keeps incrementing everytime the system boots.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 08:43:32AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>  MAC addresses are supposed to be unique and fixed on an ethernet
>  port.  Random MAC addresses are a very bad sign (of either a driver
>  bug or a hardware problem).

Len,

Silly me, but I thought that MAC addresses were actuall hard-coded into
the port.  I thought that some site security models used known MAC
address to decide not what IP to assign with DHCP what if to assign at
all.  If the hardware is allowing the MAC to be reassigned, then there
goes that idea.

What happens if two boxes on a network segment end up with the same MAC
address?

Doug.