Re: sources.list help v.2

On November 17, 2007 04:33:12 pm Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2007 01:33:34 pm Max Alekseyev wrote:
> > Add non-free section to you sources.list, i.e. change
> >
> > deb http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/ etch main
> > deb http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/ etch main non-free
> >
> > and install package 'unrar' which is the latest (but non-free) version
> > of unrar, supporting RAR archives ver 3.x
> >
> > Max
> >
> > On Nov 14, 2007 10:28 AM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > > I have a friend with a new debian amd-64 install. He has unrar-free but
>
> This:
>
> #
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r1 _Etch_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1
> 20070819-12:16]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r1 _Etch_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1
> 20070819-12:16]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/ etch main non-free
> deb-src http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/ etch main non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
>
> gives this:
>

> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.yorku.ca etch/non-free
> Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.yorku.ca_debian_dists_etch_non-free_binary-amd64
>_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org sarge/main
> Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_sarge_main_binary-amd64
>_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
> sarge/non-free Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_sarge_non-free_binary-a
>md64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org
> sarge/contrib Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_sarge_contrib_binary-am
>d64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
>
> which leads to only unrar free showing up when searching synaptic.
>
> Ideas? and what is "stat" in the warning message?
>
> Dave

It means exactly what it tells you it cannot find the file. In the case of the
sarge error the AMD64 arch was not included in the release so it will never
find them you should comment out/remove those lines. For the etch it looks
like they may not be mirroring the non-free section as it seems to find main
without problems you may want to switch to a mirror that is complete
personally I use the one below as the Canadian mirrors just plain sucked
every time I have tried them.

## Etch sources
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free