Re: Intel Core2Duo (T7400)

On Die, 2007-11-06 at 20:54 -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 12:05:26AM +0100, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
[...]
> > that probably doesn't hurt much.
> > Fact is that I run pure 64bit Linux since months on my home desktop
> > (though I'm not the typical desktop user;-).
> >
> > > specific, just 64bit system specific), but other than that generally no
> > > disadvantages.
> >
> > > I guess you could say that the fact the programs are slightly bigger
> > > (since all pointers become 8 bytes rather than 4) is a disadvantage, but
> > > on the other hand a lot of code runs slightly faster with 64bit, with a
> >
> > Yes, x86_64 has more registers than i386.
> >
> > > few types of programs running much faster.  A few very very pointer
> > > heavy programs might run slightly slower, although I don't know of any
> > > where this is the case.
> >
> > In short: FUD?!
>
> Len Sorensen knows a lot about running amd64.  Consider that before you
> write off what he says as FUD.

Well, without any real examples or details?

I would have formulated the above paragraph differently (it it's
actually a correct interpretation): Very pointer-heavy apps may run
slightly slower. But since we don't know any real example, it is not
an issue until someone comes with an convincing case.

[...]
> > > The main missing programs seem to be things which are closed source, so
> > > adobe flash, acrobat reader, etc.  Some of these do have more or less
> > > functional open source replacements.  Video codecs can also be a
> >
> > Some browsers (konqueror, firefox as far as I've been told) allow to run
> > 32bit plugins from the 64bit version. Since the flash-plugin and others
> > is not really important for me, I don't really care.
>
> Well, you're wrong.  In Lenny, there's a wrapper that does this but in
> Etch it doesn't exist and can't be backported.  So flash in Etch needs
> the ia-32 chroot.  I don't know if anything else does since I don't use
> them.

Thanks for first hand information and details. Well, sooner or later
"Lenny" will be "stable" and the problem vanishes ...

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services