Re: deciding on a new amd64 system

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 08:24:07AM -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Well ... I don't want to get into Intel vs. AMD (until the AMD Quad
> Cores are out, anyhow) :). But I can't conceive of running a processor
> that fast in Linux with only a GB of RAM, and I can't conceive of
> getting "only" 5.1 sound and not 7.1. But I do a lot of scientific and
> audio computing, so the RAM isn't wasted. :)

Well I would certainly prefer 2 or 4GB ram on a new system.

As for AMD, well when they come out with the quad, assuming it does what
they claim it will do, then they will probably be back on my list of
recommended parts.

Lots of boards have 7.1 audio, I just tried to show that making a PC
from quality parts that matched the Dell price was trivial.  I was
surprised that it didn't even need going to generic ram to beat Dell's
price.