Problems starting X in a new Athlon 3800+ system

Hi.  I've been using the latest unstable with a Pentium III for quite a whille now with no problems at all.  I decided to upgrade my h/w to an Athlon 3800+ and I thought I could just install the disks from the old system to the new h/w and work from there.

The new system, as I said, is an Athlon 3800+ with an ATI Radeon 9200 (from Sapphire).  Everything worked just fine until gdm started up.  It looks like X will start, but when the screen blanks it just stays that way and I cannot break X or reboot the system with ctrl-alt-del.

My old system was running an ATI 128 Rage Pro, but what I did was boot the new system into single user mode and reconfigured 'xserver-xorg' accepting sensible options.  The configuration recognized the card and the monitor, etc.  But X just doesn't work.

At this point, I decided to reinstall using the Debian 4.0 netinst cd thinking that the reinstallation would default to a useful value, but the re-installation has the same problem with X.  Does anyone have any suggestions I might follow to get my system back up?  Everything works fine in the text console; it's just X that seems to be having problems.  BTW, I've tried running a livecd (centos 4.3) and everything works just fine  (gdm starts up, etc.).  I'd appreciate any help.  Thanks

-Jose