Re: Random Crashes

On Monday 07 May 2007, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     Ever since I bought my AMD64 system (AMD 64 3000+, Asus K8U-X
> motherboard) I've been experiencing random freezes, in which the system
> completely stops to respond, or sometimes automatic reboots. Sometimes
> the system halts during boot with a message such as
>
> HARDWARE ERROR
> CPU 0: Machine Check Exception:                                    4
> Bank 4:  b200000000070f0f
> TSC a38a02f0b
> This is not a software problem!
>

>     The crashes do not necessarily happen when the system is doing
> something ram or processor intensive. I can do heavy tasks such as
> video encoding with no problems, but sometimes the system crashes when
> it's idle, only background tasks running. Also, the crashes are not so
> frequent.
>
>     When I bought the system, it had one stick with 512Mb of RAM.
> Crashes already happened then. Later I added anoter stick with 1Gb of
> RAM. I suspected the memory, and ran memtest only. But it was for a
> short time, so in fact I cannot conclude anything from the lack of
> errors.
>
>snip<
>     So, am I really unlucky to have two memory modules with problems,
> or what else should I suspect? Motherboard? Processor? What would be
> the possible ways to diagnose the problem?
>
> --
> "They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them!"
>
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> ekalin@bol.com.br
> http://move.to/hpkb

Well first thing I would do is update bios to latest version for your
board. Asus is know for funky bioses, takes them a while to get the good
ones out.  Is this a used board, or brand new, I am unclear about that
topic. Also see what memory settings you have in the bios, maybe your too
aggressive on your memory bios settings.  Also check your memory in
another system if one is available.  Once you determine if it's not
memory, then it might be the board, if it has a warranty you might want
to rma the board.

Gnu_Raiz