home rolled kernel doesn't work with folding binary?

Hi,

I've tried my first amd64 kernel (long period of reading many help files
under menuconfig  :P ) and all seemed to actually work well, until I
tried to fire up my newly acquired fah5 binary from the Folding at Home
site.  Bash reported that it could not execute the file.

I assume there is something wrong in the config (as the stock etch
kernel allows execution), but haven't a clue where to look.  I thought
that the beta smp (beta) version was a 32 bit executable, so wondered
whether there was an option I had (not) chosen which messed this up.

The differences in the two .config files are hard for me to interpret,
to be honest.

Is this a naive mistake?  What lines could I include out of the .config
to help others?

Thanks for any help!

Kenward
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --
A. Einstein