Re: New problem with an hp CD5750

Am Samstag, 31. März 2007 12:35 schrieb storm66@club-internet.fr:
> Hello,
>
> I have always some problems with the HP dc5750. After installing
> "wildly" the system (by copying a Knoppix 32 bits CD on the HD).
> The system runs, slowly..., even X and KDE are OK, but I encounter a new
> problem.
> Ths disk is deadly slow :
> hdparm -t gives 1.43 Mo/s !!!!
> on an 23 years old Amiga 2000 running Linux I get 3.4 Mo/s
> so 1.43 Mo/s is quite a pain.
> I want to compile a new kernel with only the needed modules , eg a
> better disk driver, and no unused modules. The problem is that I can't
> get a working kernel on the machine, the kernel does not boot with a
> panic "does not find the disk ... append a correct root=... ".

Check /boot/grub/menu.lst, sometimes the line with the initrd.img is missing.
You can edit it by booting with knoppix, mount the partition and edit it.
This sometoimes is caused by the grub-install script.

Ifyou need a new initrd, do this in /boot/grub/:

i.e.

mkisofs -o initrd.img-2.6.18-4-amd64.img /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-amd64

> I try with a 2.6.20 kernel, take the 2.6.19 config found in the Knoppix
> install and a make oldconfig. The kernel compile is OK but panics while
> booting not finding the boot disk.

Hope this might help.

Regards

Hans

--
Firma
Ullrich-IT-Consult

Linux-Beratung für Server und Clients
IT-Sicherheit, Linux-Schulungen und Workshops