Performance issues in 64-bit platforms

Hi Dimitris,

I have seen the same patterns - but I don't think it's reflecting normal workload - so don't be alarmed. :-)

1)
You are comparing an Intel and a AMD processor accessing memory.
Intel's Core-processors (and Intel in general) have always performed were well in this hdparm memory-tests.
I don't know why.. but that's the case (Maybe because of there releatively large second level cache 4MB for Core2-duo) -
compared to AMD that typically still runs with 512KB / 1MB.
When it comes to real life usage the the difference is not that big. AMD is very fast on context-switching.

2)
I believe that this is syncronous reads.. The raptor disk is very fast in random reads as it has a low accesstimes.
The bigger and slower disk may most likely have higher data- density - resulting in a high troughput anyway - as long as we are only reading one file at a time..
If you compare random reads/writes between the disk you get what you payed for..

My data from a Laptop with Core2 Duo T7200 @ 2.0GHz and a 100GB 7200 2,3" drive is:
/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads:   5384 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2697.96 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  150 MB in  3.04 seconds =  49.41 MB/sec

/Johan