Re: Download Problems

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 06:11:09PM -0000, Peter Wilkes wrote:
> I am having problems downloading the first ISO for the 64 bit version of
> debian.  The FTP listings show a file size of around 4.4 Gb but when I
> download the size is only 376 Mb.  I have tried on 3 different computer
> systems / networks with the same problem.  I have also tried using many
> different FTP servers.  The second DVD ISO is downloaded fine and the md5 is
> also ok.

Some servers only handle 32bit sizes.  Some clients only handle 32bit
sizes.

For example apache 1.3 will simply wrap the size at 32bit, so a 4.4GB
file will become about 400MB.  Apache 2.0 would limit the file to 2GB
and give an error message if you tried to transfer anything bigger.
Apache 2.2 handles files over 4GB just fine.

I am sure there are ftp server problems the same way.

Some clients have problems too.

Which client are you using and from which server?

I believe rsync, bittorrent, jigdo, wget (assuming the server is ok),
and probably current versions of firefox and IE should handle files over
4GB ok (for the web browsers the server has to handle it properly too of
course).

> Bittorent is hopeless, its going to take 53 days to complete and jigdoo
> thingy is also painfully slow.

Jigdo downloads from any valid debian mirror and should hence be by far
the fastest method there is.  Certainly always managed to max out my
connection when I used it.  Of course I don't bother with anything other
than net installs anymore.