Re: converting from i386 to amd64 without rebuilding

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 11:49:20AM -0800, Steve Lane wrote:
> Greetings.  We've got a 4-core (2 x Core 2 Duo) server that was originally
> built as an i386 machine, then converted to the i386 bigmem kernel,
> and *then* converted to the amd64 kernel. None of the packages on the
> machine, however, are from the amd64 port - they're all i386.
>
> Is there some simple and straightforward (or even not-so-simple or
> straightforward) way of converting the machine from the i386 port
> to the amd64 port without rebuilding it from scratch using the amd64
> installer, i.e. to reinstall all the i386-specific packages from the
> amd64 repository?

I can't think of any way.  You can create a chroot with debootstrap, but
that's essentially just a harder way to run a fresh install.

After all you can't have both the 32 and 64 bit version of libc6
installed at once in the same place, so you can't replace it while other
packages which depend on it are using the other bitness.