Re: lenny amd64 for Desktop

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 11:15:12PM -0600, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> Like to get some feedback from anyone running lenny on amd64.

I have just upgraded from a (short-lived) etch installation to lenny.

> Is it workable?

Definetly!

> I'm currently running etch as a desk top - how well is lenny doing?

I upgraded to lenny in order to get the nv driver that would recognize my
nvidia 8600 card - I simply could not get it to play with etch. Haven't got
around to plugging it in after the upgrade, so I can't say if it works. Maybe
this weekend...

> Any reasons not to upgrade?

I had problems with KDE's fish protocol (file browsing etc over ssh). Solved
them by staying at an older kernel. Expect those to be ironed out soon.

That was all. I had recently installed etch, coming from 32-bit mode. The
upgrade was as painless as you could hope. Change your sources, apt-get
update, apt-get dist-upgrade. No fuzz. Been happy with it the past few days.
Still need to sort out some things that need to be run 32-bit (flash, java?,
video codecs for xine, ...), but those problems were the same on etch.
(anyone have a good howto that is up to date with lenny? Most I find on the
net are somewhat older)

Regards

   Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk